Thursday, July 17, 2014

Student Curators at the "Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum" Floyd Virginia


The LCF Group in Floyd Virginia has employed paid Student Office Assistants/Interns for the past 7 years. Many of them have also worked as Curators in our "Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum" - Floyd Virginia.  These assistants are very productive for us and some have returned for many summers during their High School and College years. Some of the assistants also work for a month during Christmas school break.

The extra help during the Summer is especially helpful to fill in when regular staff is on vacation.  We have several activities and having the extra help for the Computer Museum and Festivals at Chantilly Farm is a delight for our LCF Group Team.

I recommend all businesses large or small consider hiring students as extra help during the summer and especially in small towns like Floyd Virginia. There are very few summer jobs for students and this is a way for students to earn an income and be at home with family and friends for the summer. You will find students with skills and interests that will be a help to your business.  The experience the students receive working in a real  business can be a very valuable tool to help them determine a full time career.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click Photo to enlarge
Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum
Rina Van Blerk
Rina worked this Summer until the end of June and then went to the Netherlands for an exciting mission trip so I have posted her comments from last year.

Over the past three years, we have been helping Mr. Dave Larsen transfer the Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum items from paper to Past Perfect, a very detailed inventory program. This summer, new inventory numbers were given to several items which lacked them - allowing the items to be placed on display in the Village Green Suite. In addition, calculators have received a majority of our attention. I am currently adding pictures to Past Perfect and updating minor details such as descriptions and conditions. I printed several reports showing the inventory contents of particular boxes. We are working hard to make this goal of a historical computer museum a reality. The work is tedious, but necessary – and serves as valuable information for the future.
-Rina


Rina Van Blerk as Office Assistant - Student Intern 2014.
Her own words.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum
Nate Cleveland
This is my third summer working for the LCF Group and it has come with a lot of responsibility! The majority of my work has involved graphic and web design, as well as keeping our Bugbook Computer
Museum open on the weekends. We have three new interns this summer working at LCF and they have been a huge help to us all. I’m headed off to JMU at the end of the summer and I believe the work done here will greatly help me with my intended major, media arts and design. I think it’s going to be a very busy summer, but I’m excited to learn more and spend another summer with this great group of people!
-Nate Cleveland



Nate Cleveland - Assistant Curator at the "Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum"
His own words.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum
Emily Wilson in Computer Museum
In my first year working as a summer intern I’ve been doing several different things. I’ve been working in the Bugbook Computer Museum, talking to the visitors as they come in, helping with some displays, and keeping the museum looking nice. I’ve also helped Jason Gallimore create some banners and cards for Chantilly Farm and events. I’ve enjoyed working on the computer and creating different graphics. I also helped at an event out at Chantilly Farm one weekend. I really enjoyed going out there and I think Chantilly is beautiful and its awesome that Floyd has a place like that. I’m glad that Floyd has the LCF Group here that offers these jobs to students and gives them a                                                              chance to work in the county and learn a lot.



 Emily Wilson - Assistant Curator at the "Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum'
Her own words.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum
Cord Johnson
    I have worked for the LCF group for one month now and in that time I have worked a wide array of jobs. I have worked on maintenance at Chantilly Farm and sold snacks and tickets at special events.  I also assisted with writing newsletters, designing business cards, and updating social media and webpages.  In the computer museum I have given tours and played guitar to attract visitors.  Each of these jobs has given me a unique experience that will be useful throughout my life and I am thankful to have the opportunity to work for the LCF group.



 Cord Johnson - Assistant Curator at the "Bugbook Historical Microcomputer Museum"
His own words.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chantilly Farm
Alice Cox
At Chantilly Farm I complete many tasks on a weekly basis, some of those include, staining, mapping utilities, weed eating, mapping the RV Park, and other tasks that are needed on a day to day basis. Working on several tasks throughout the day keeps me moving and entertained in my work. My favorite job that I have worked on this summer is the RV Park because it is always progressing each day.  Dave takes me with him when he checks in with Don and Henry and shows all the moving parts of the project. It’s amazing how in less than two months how the park has gone from just flat land to having electricity, water, and spaces for RVs.



Alice Cox in her own word tells about working at Chantilly Farm.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"By David Larsen" LCF Group , Floyd Virginia


No comments:

Post a Comment